The Foundation Medical Course
Master Medical Skills Used by Medical Professionals Daily
Perform more than 50 fun practical projects at home and gain dozens of medical skills.
After completing the Future Doctors Academy Foundation Medical Course, students should have a good understanding of:
- The basic principles of conducting a medical examination
- An understanding of how to use several medical instruments and items
- The basic human anatomy and physiology of the eleven bodily systems
- The systematic approach in diagnosing diseases
- An understanding of medical ethics
- The importance of taking a thorough medical history
- The meaning of multiple medical terms (medical terminology)
- Various careers in medicine and healthcare
In addition to this, the student will have the following healthcare/medical skills:
- Hand washing
- Applying alcohol hand-rub
- Donning and doffing gloves
Distinguish between normal and abnormal bodily sounds
- Heart sounds
- Gastro-intestinal sounds
- Respiratory sounds
- Joint sounds
The student will be able to assess a patient’s vitals
- Heat rate
- Body temperature
- Respiratory rate
- Blood pressure
The student will be able to examine various bodily parts
- The eye
- The ear
- The skin, hair, and nails
- The mouth
- The abdomen
The student will be able to elicit neurological reflexes
- The Patellar Reflex
- The Babinski reflex
- The Pupil-light reflex
Other medical skills (perform and interpret)
- Pulse Oximetry
The student will have a working understanding of the following topics
- The body’s water balance
- The basic principles of airway management
- Emergency medicine and trauma
- Burn injuries
- Growths (tumors)
- Several metabolic diseases
- Many infectious diseases
Who Should Enroll In This Course?
– High School students in Grade 10 to 12
– Students at premed years 1-4 levels.
Sixteen weeks are allowed to complete the course.
+-60 Hours (including practical projects).
The Future Doctors Academy recommends that the student not rush through the course (not more than 3 hours per day) to allow for consolidation of the information. The course could be done in less than a week with full-time study; however, it is recommended that you not rush and instead allow the information to consolidate in your mind.
From the date of enrollment, you have 12 weeks to complete the course, failing which you will need to re-enroll.
Furthermore we recommend that you briefly review the previous day’s work before continuing each day. This will also consolidate the knowledge in your mind.
— Register with Future Doctors Academy
— Enroll in Course
— Simulation Kit (optional but recommended to complete the practical projects and practice the techniques you learn)
Click here to order your Apprentice Doctor® Foundation Simulation Kit
Equivalent to sixty shadowing hours
— IMPORTANT: If you are NOT a part of the Envision Experience and you wish to receive formal certification there is a $29 accreditation fee payable. This certification is valid for two years but the certificate will remain a valuable addition to any job or academic application long after.
– The Apprentice Doctor® Foundation Course and accompanying Simulation Kit (including all items and instruments in the kit) are exclusively intended for educational and training purposes. No instrument or item may be used in a real clinical medical setting (emergency or otherwise).
– Without a formal medical qualification you may open yourself to medicolegal litigation if applying these techniques on the public.
– The surgical gloves contain latex. We do supply latex-free gloves as an alternative on request.
– The Apprentice Doctor® Foundation Course and Simulation Kit is suitable for students over 13 years of age. Adult supervision is recommended for students below the age of 18 years.